Burning Information

Check with your local Fire Warden office for more information on burning in Minnesota.

This page uses Active-X programming to include a graphic image pertinent to the page content.  Please allow Active-X if prompted by your Web Browser

You need a burning permit to burn yard waste at any time and remember, at no time is it lawful to burn anything other than yard waste.  The area around your proposed burn pile needs to be cleared of any combustable material and grass.  A open area away from trees with a sand or dirt base burn area is preferred.  Don't burn on windy days-even if you have a permit to do so.  Keep a water supply nearby to control your fire and keep the fire size reasonable for the conditions.  When burning is completed, bury or gather the ashes to prevent wind driven flare-ups.  Lakeshore owners: Do NOT burn on your beach area.  The ash is VERY HARMFUL to the lake you live on.

In all of 1999, 58 wildfires burned 135 acres in the Brainerd area.  During spring 2000, there were more than 21 wildfires that burned more than 630 acres.  For updates on wildfire conditions, visit the DNR's Wildfire Information Center on the internet at www.ra.dnr.state.mn.us/fire  .

Each year, the DNR and local fire departments respond to some 7,500 wildfires.  About 40% of these are caused by careless debris burning.  While debris burning requires a burning permit,  burning of household waste is illegal in Minnesota.

If your fire damages property or requires a fire call to bring it under control, you will be billed for that service.  The penalty for burning without a permit can be staggering.

What may be burned?
Leaves, dry grass clippings, untreated and unpainted wood that contains no glues or resins, and other vegetative materials may be burned, with a permit, when there is no burning restriction in place.  However, they may be burned only between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.  During this time winds are usually lower and the humidity is usually higher, which reduces the possibility of a fires escaping.  Remember to watch  your fire at all times.  Burning permits can be obtained from the DNR and from local fire wardens.

Why is home burning of waste illegal?
It can cause severe health problems and pollute air, soils, and water.  Studies have shown that due to low burn temperatures and lack of pollution control equipment, the smoke from burning household garbage in backyard burners or burn piles produces levels of dangerous toxins many times higher than a municipal incinerator.

What can you do to get rid of your household garbage?
Compost non-dairy and non-meat kitchen scraps.  If you do not have garbage pick-up, there are several area businesses that allow you to use their dumpsters for a small fee, usually around $3 per bag.  (If you crush or tear up large items, you'll be surprised how much you can get into one garbage bag.)  Also, many area communities provide recycling drop-off sites for easily  recyclable  materials.   It is illegal in Crow Wing County to NOT have an approved method of garbage disposal, local haulers are available for this service-please call them!

Where to get a permit to burn?
Carlson Hardware of Nisswa, just Northeast of downtown
218 963-7645

There is no charge for issuance of permit.
Bring your property address and legal description.

Other area Fire Wardens are listed in your phone book.